Thursday 14 April 2016

13th April 2016

Went down to Portland this afternoon to look for the western subalpine warbler that was released in the Obs Quarry around midday. Upon arrival, I was told that it hadn't been seen since, which didn't come as a great surprise. At the bill had several Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs, a Raven and a Fulmar flying over the land which looked a bit out of place. In the fields north of the Obs I picked out a female Common Redstart.

Common Redstart - Portland Bill

I headed over to The Hump to have a look for the hoopoe. I had a walk around which produced very little. As I was heading back, another birder called me over to say he had found the Hoopoe in one of the first fields. It allowed us to get up close and get some good shots of it.

Hoopoe - Portland

Returned to Portland Bill in the evening, but there was still no sign of the subalpine warbler in the quarry, just 2 Blackcaps and the resident Little Owl. Also had one of the Short-Eared Owls fly over while I was waiting.

 Short-Eared Owl - Portland Bill

 Little Owl - Portland Bill

All-in-all, quite a lot of compensation to ease the pain of dipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment