Tuesday 20 June 2017

19th June 2017 (Glamorgan)

The night heron I saw in Shropshire earlier this year was found to be of American race and, as it appeared during an influx of european night herons to the UK and Iceland, it's cast doubt over the birds origins in my mind. Night heron is a species which I've had a checkered history with so when the report came in that the european-race bird had remained as Cosmeston Lakes for a second day, I was determined to plaster the species on my list once and for all!
Left home after work at around 5:30pm and headed towards Cardiff, but due to traffic on the M4 I didn't arrive until 8:15. On arrival, birders informed me that the bird had flown across the lake, but no one had seen where it had landed. After a few stressful minutes, another birder relocated the Night Heron through my scope. Success! The bird was flushed closer by a canoe, allowing me to get some decent shots clearly showing the more extensive white over the eye. Also noted were the duller wings, dusky underparts, some yellow on the lower mandible and a grey back, making this bird a 2nd year I believe. A great bird and well worth the travel time!
Night Heron - Cosmeston Lakes
Comparison of the facial pattern of the American bird at Venus Pool (left) and the European bird at Cosmeston Lakes (right). Note the amount of white surrounding the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment