Sunday 26 November 2017

26th November 2017

Saw that the red-necked grebe was still present at Chard Reservoir this morning so I decided to head over. My only previous sighting of this species was a very distant pair in Portland Harbour in 2013, so I was keen to get a better view and some record shots.

After a bit of scanning, I was put onto the Red-Necked Grebe which spent most of its time in the overhanging vegetation at the north of the res. With a bit of patience it swam out into the open and gave good scope views. A flyover Grey Wagtail was the only other species of note.

Red-Necked Grebe - Chard Reservoir



A fantastic find for in inland reservoir and a great record for Someret!

Stopped off at Norton-Sub-Hamdon on the way home to try to finally catch up with a hawfinch this winter. I saw my first ever Hawfinches at the same site in 2013, so I checked a few of the same locations near the church yard without any luck. Thinking I'd arrived too late in the day I was ready to leave when I noticed a small bird fly up next to a green finch. I got it in the bins and it was a Hawfinch! Eventually, I got onto at least 2 or 3 individuals in the small trees next to the church yard and managed a few record shots. Also of note was a Green Woodpecker, a Grey Wagtail and all 5 thrushes.

Hawfinch - Norton-Sub-Hamdon

No comments:

Post a Comment