Monday 19 February 2018

17th February 2018 (Scilly & Cornwall)

With reports of the snowy owl being seen regularly at the north end of Tresco, it was time to take a trip down to try and see my number one most wanted species! I decided that I probably wouldn't need more than a few hours, so I booked flights and risked a day trip. I called up the planes, boats and buses company and made sure that all the arangements were in place (though I had to call Tresco Boats back to find out I'd actually been booked on!).

I had another flyover Barn Owl over the A30 just after exeter on the way down, hopefully a foreshadow of the day to come! I got to Lands End around 7am and boarded the twin otter at 8:15. It was my first time flying, but I enjoyed it immensely!! I had a bus driver waiting at the St Mary's terminal who took me to the quey to meet the boat. A scan from here produced a single Glaucous Gull.

I must admit, I was surprised at the good organisation between the transport companies, and I was onto Tresco with an hour of landing. After running into Mark, I got some more Gen on the bird and  headed up to the north end seeing the 5 Pink-Footed Geese on the way.

Pink-Footed Goose - Tresco

The north end was covered in pale rocks which made search difficult. To my dismay, a search of the birds favoured area resulted in nothing. Another hour and a half and still no sign. Eventually, after continually scanning from multiple angles, I picked out the 1w female SNOWY OWL!!! What a bird! I must have walked right past it when I arrived.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SNOWY OWL - Tresco

At a distance, it's somewhat understandable how I missed this at first!

I didn't want to risk disturbing the bird to get closer shots, so once I'd had my fill I went off for Lunch. We had great views from the north end of Tresco, and had flyby Kittiwake and Med Gull whilst eating. I walked south along the east side of the Island seeing at least 2 Great Northern Divers and a Raven.

Tresco


I got the return boat and flight without issue (on board an Islander this time). I headed straight to Mousehole once back to the Mainland, however the weather had deteriorated, visibility had reduced and there were no birders on site. No only did I dip both white-billed and pacific divers, I didn't see a single diver, not sure if I was looking in the wrong place or if the birds were more distant than I thought. I did have great views of a flyby Iceland Gull, plus 2 Glaucous Gulls in the roost, which on any other day I'd  have been very happy with.

2 Glaucous Gulls - Mousehole


The forcast for the following day looked poor so I decided to head home instead of booking into a hotel. Both divers were seen the following morning, though I certainly can't complain after having great views of the owl!




No comments:

Post a Comment