Sunday 10 June 2018

29th April 2018 (Pembrokeshire and Dorset)

Made an early start up to Wales this morning for the GREEN HERON. As I was walking to the bird, it was reported as still present. Sure enough, the bird was showing well in the shadow of the morning. As time went on, the bird became a bit more active, but showed pretty well the whole time I was here. A great looking bird, I shouldn't be so surprised that one turned up as the last bird coincided with the last american bittern in the UK.

GREEN HERON - Llanmill

Next stop was Portland Bill in hope of seeing the two Golden Orioles. I had a 1st summer bird here last year, but an adult male was certainly worth a look! Thankfully, both birds were showing well when I arrived in the top fields, and the male was a real stunner!

Golden Orioles - Portland Bill

I'm glad I decided not to go for a red-rumped swallow at Belvide res, as a full adult male oriole is probably a rarer sight in the UK these days. Portland was alive with migrants, and other highlights included 9 Redstarts, 2 Spotted Flycatchers and singles of Whinchat and Garden Warbler plus an interesting brown bird with a rufous tail that I never got a good look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment