Saturday 19 March 2016

19th March 2015

Decided that I would try to get as many species in Yeovil in a day. Didn't get the ring ouzel in Larkspur Crescent first thing this morning, but did have a female Blackcap and a flyover Grey Heron, so a good start. A couple of hours at the Openspace produced relatively little, singles of Raven, Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Great Spotted Woodpecker was the best I managed.

A walk along Longcroft Wood was better, producing a flock of 12 Golden Plovers overhead and a single Stock Dove (this is the only site in Yeovil where I have seen them). Didn't get the green woodpecker I was hoping for, but a Kestrel, a couple of Jays and a flock of Redwings further increased the day list total. Also had a flyover Cormorant while walking through Larkspur Crescent on my back.

Had a breif look at Ninesprings in the afternoon, which quickly added Moorhen, Mallard and Mandarin and Little Grebe to the list. Walking around the back of the lake there was a large tit/goldcrest flock, within which I instantly located my other 2 target birds: Nuthatch and Treecreeper. While here, I heard a kingfisher calling; presumably it was flying along the river. I seem destined not to get this species for my Yeovil list! Continuing to scan through the flock, I picked up a Chiffchaff, followed by a stunning Firecrest, which gave great views. Very happy to have finally caught up with this species in Yeovil after missing the last one on the Openspace, especially as this one is self-found. Also, had a Marsh Tit in the flock, only my second time seeing this species in Yeovil.

Firecrest - Ninesprings

Mandarins - Ninesprings

Returned to Yeovil Openspace to try again to get grey wagtail for the day list without luck, and again failed to locate the ring ouzel in Larkspur Crescent, but 2 flyover Canada Geese were a nice way to finish off the day.

Ended the day on only 46 species, which is perhaps a little disappointing, but I can't complain with a Yeovil tick!

No comments:

Post a Comment