Tuesday 18 October 2016

16th October 2016 (East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire)

For weeks I've been hoping to try again for the purple swamphen that's now in Yorkshire. I didn't expect the siberian accentor to still be at easington today (it was mobile last night), but decided that it would be a good day to head up just in case. It was one of my best ever days birding:

Headed up to Spurn, East Yorkshire early this morning. Whilst driving through Hull the news came through that accentor was still there! Arrived at Easington at about 8am. A 5 minute walk and a short wait and I was watching Britains 2nd SIBERIAN ACCENTOR down to a few metres!

SIBERIAN ACCENTOR - Easington

A fantastic bird and one I never expected to see in Britain. I didn't really stay long enough as I got news that the RADDE'S WARBLER was still at Spurn. Within 10 minutes I had arrived on site and got a 10 second view of the bird quite close up. Stopped off behind the pub on the way back to the car and got onto the Pallas's Warbler as well.

Next stop was Alkbourough for the swamphen, however it didn't show all day (until about 1730 by which time I was on my way home). I will try and make a return trip for this bird; I'm determined to get it!

Decided that I would give up on the swamphen and try for the olive-backed pipit at Spurn, but changed direction when the SIBERIAN STONECHAT was re-reported at Grimstone. Saw the bird almost as soon as I arrived and it showed close up the whole time. Amazed that only 4 other birders were present here.

SIBERIAN STONECHAT - Grimstone



Next stop was Spurn again, where I adopted the tactic of driving around looking for crowds of birders. This quickly produced 9 Tundra Bean Geese, 2 Shore Lark and a Mealy Redpoll, the latter a long overdue lifer!

Mealy Redpoll - Spurn

Tundra Bean Geese - Spurn

Shore Lark - Spurn

A really great day, what a place Spurn is! Truly magical! Some people might be surprised that my favourite bird today wasn't the accentor, but the stonechat, simply for the reason that I didn't know if I would see it or not! As good as it is seeing lots of good birds in the same place, it rather takes away all the excitment when you're being handed them on a plate. I barely got excited about twitching or seeing my first radde's warbler!

None the less, it was a unique experience, and reminded me that I don't just go twitching for the birds: I go for the chase, uncertainty and excitment!

No comments:

Post a Comment