Wednesday 26 October 2016

26th October 2016

Got up late this morning. I looked at my phone and the first thing I saw, a pine bunting just ringed at Portland Bird Obs! I skipped breakfast and quickly changed, grabbed my equipment and was on my way. After 40 minutes delay due to traffic I eventually arrived at Portland Bill. Unfortunetly there was no sign of the bird. I had a look around the Crown Estate Field for 90 minutes or so before deciding it probably wouldn't get relocated any time soon. Only species of note here was the Hen Harrier quatering Top Fields.

Hen Harrier - Portland Bill

On the way back to the car I found a fem/imm Black Redstart on top of one of the buildings near the Bill car park.

After some lunch at the bill I headed over to Reap Lane where, after an hour, the Turtle Dove showed extremely well just metres away, at one point wandering out onto the path around us much like a feral pigeon! Also had a Common Pheasant at this site which I've heard is a bit of a scarcity on Portland.

Turtle Dove - Reap Lane
It would be sad to see this beautiful species go the same way as the passenger pigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment