Saturday 15 July 2017

13th July 2017 (Kent)

After news breaking last night of the marsh sand at Cliffe Pools in Kent, I set off at 4:30 after work. The journey was fairly uneventful, with 30 minute hold ups on the M3 and M25 (also a single Red Kite from the car window). I parked at the top of Cliffe and walked to the pool which took a further 25 minutes. I finally met Cliff and a couple other birders at the site at 8:30pm, and after a bit of confusion about which pool the bird was on, I eventually connected with the MARSH SANDPIPER. It was incredibly distant, and it wasn't until it re-emerged that I could really get to grips with it, it was much smaller, paler and more elegant than the surrounding Redshanks, and had pretty long legs (just about visible in the first shot below). When it stretched it's neck, it had a very stilt-like appearance. Also present were the 2 families of BLACK-WINGED STILTS (I counted at least 4 adults and 5 juveniles, but there were no doubt more) and a Little Ringed Plover. We all hitched a lift with an RSPB warden back to our cars, and after a quick bite to eat I set off home at 10pm. Due to multiple road closures, I didn't get back home until after 2am. Very glad I went, but I think I'll have to give second thoughts before doing any more twitching via the M25 at that time of night!

MARSH SANDPIPER - Cliffe Pools
Last shot shows comparison with a Redshank!

No comments:

Post a Comment