Thursday 3 May 2018

15th April 2018

I deliberated heading back to Carlton Marshes this morning for better views of the american bittern, but as it took me over 7 hours yesterday I decided against it and started the trip home. As there was heavy traffic on the M25, I changed course onto the M4. At the next stop I checked RBA and found that an ashy-headed wagtail was at Northwick! Seems the diversion was a stroke of luck, as the M4 lead almost straight to the bird! A hour later and I was on site. A total of 8 Red Kites were seen on the journey.

I picked out the ASHY-HEADED WAGTAIL amongst the Yellow Wagtails pretty quickly, but it disappeared for long periods and it took quite a while to get everyone on the bird. The bird remained distant, but the features seemed good for ashy-headed. We noted that the bird was slightly paler than the surrounding yellows when viewed from most angles, which I assume is why it was later reported as a possible female black-headed. I doubt the bird can be confirmed either way due to the distance. Also of note was a Stone-Curlew on the shoreline as well as my first White Wagtails, House Martins and Sand Martins of the year.

ASHY-HEADED WAGTAIL - Pilning Wetlands

Stone-Curlew - Northwick


It was pretty late by the time I was back in Yeovil, so I decided I should make the most of the day. I headed straight through the town and down towards Portland in hope of seeing the hoopoe. An initial search of the hut fields and the crown estate field produced little other than a Short-Eared Owl. However, as I walked back down the side of the Obs, the Hoopoe flew up into the tree in front of me! It was rather skittish, though it eventually afforded some good views. Also of note was a sub-singing Firecrest and the Obs Quarry Little Owl.

Hoopoe - Portland Bill
 
Short-Eared Owl - Portland Bill
 
Little Owl - Portland Bill
 
Kestrel - Portland Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment