Wednesday 2 May 2018

3rd April 2018 (Norfolk)

With little else to twitch, I spent some time searching for a few target birds around Norfolk. First stop was Cockney Cley, where I failed to get satisfactory views of the willow tit with just a Red Kite as compensation. Next stop was Santon Downham, where I also dipped out on lesser spotted woodpecker! 2 Bramblings and at least 2 Mandarins were added to the day tally though.

Mandarins - Santon Downham

Brambling - Santon Downham


Third stop was for the pair of cranes at Welney. Large numbers of Whooper Swan were feeding alongside the Road as I arrived, though there didn't seem to be any bewick's amongst them. Large numbers of Tree Sparrows were giving good views in the car park, and allowed for some decent shots. An initial scan from the car park failed to produce the bird, was a nice bonus was an adult male Hen Harrier, my first non-ringtail of any harrier species and what a stunner! The staff in the visitor centre pointed my in the right direction, and soon enough I was watching the 2 Common Cranes (nice to have some tickable ones for a change!). Most of the reserve was flooded, and my brief walk round produced little more than a Peregrine and a few more Whooper Swans.

Common Cranes - Welney

Hen Harrier - Welney

Tree Sparrow - Welney

Whooper Swan - Welney

No comments:

Post a Comment