Thursday 3 May 2018

14th April 2018 (Suffolk)

Having just returned from Norfolk, news of an american bittern in Suffolk made for a frustrating week! Thankfully, my car was fixed before the weekend, and I got up early ready to head up on Saturday. Checking the forecast, I noticed that the forecast that changed to 'moderate' - On the last day with a similar forecast, the bird hadn't been seen due to poor visibility. I decided to wait until news came through that visibility was actually very good!

I arrived at Carlton Marshes around 12:30. I soon regretting waiting this morning, as the bird was giving great views on the deck just 15 minutes before I arrived. 30 minutes later, and it was evident that the bird had disappeared - I was in the for long haul. Some entertainment was had whilst waiting, including a female Ring Ouzel, a male Blue-Headed Wagtail (a subspecies tick for me), plenty of Chinese Water Deer and a lifer in the form of a Raft Spider.

Ring Ouzel - Carlton Marshes

Several people had fleeting glimpses of the bird crossing gaps in the reeds, including people stood next to me, however I like many others failed to connect. Around 7pm, the bird was seen in flight with a eurasian bittern, however I was stood at the other end of the path and missed it again! It seemed the birds had flown to their favored roosting spot.

Eventually, I regrettably packed up my scope and headed back down the path. I could stay over night and try again in the morning. Of course, the call then went up. I looked over my shoulder to see 3 Bitterns in flight. I couldn't set up my tripod quick enough, the the birds dropped down. Others were celebrating, as one of the birds was apparently the american. I focused my scope on the point the birds dropped down, and several minutes later, a single bird flew up. I maneuvered the scope onto it - plain, contrasting upperparts, pale trailing edge, and thick stripes down the throat, it was the AMERICAN BITTERN!!! Finally, after over 7 hours of waiting! The bird was quite distinctive in flight, the contrast of colours on the upperwing reminding me more of little bittern than of eurasian.

The views weren't the best, but I was ecstatic just to have seen it! On the walk back to the car, I had 3 Barn Owls, and heard a reeling gropper - one day I might actually get to add it to my life list!

Barn Owl - Carlton Marshes

No comments:

Post a Comment