Tuesday 22 May 2018

20th April 2018

Decided to head down to Lyde Road after work this evening to search for migrants. Several Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers were showing at the top of hill on arrival. A walk along the river through the north field produced 2 Canada Geese, a male Mandarin and a male Common Whitethroat, a now scarce species back in North Yeovil so good to see one at this site. It will be interesting to see if they breed here this year. A male Lesser Whitethroat was singing alongside the railway line. I couldn't pick it out, though I did get a brief view of a second bird, presumably a female.

Walking back south, I heard reeling - after initially assuming it to be the power lines, I realised it was a gropper - a species I still need for my life list, nevermind my Yeovil list! After a bit of a tense search, I realised it was reeling from low grass. Gradually moving closer, I got within 5 metres - it was still singing away, and I still couldn't see it! Eventually I moved, and then flew to the next field. I headed off, happy to have finally ticked Grasshopper Warbler (embarrassingly, my 350th UK species!), but then it began reeling again, back where it started! I moved round again, and eventually got good on the deck views. The bird really didn't seem all that bothered with my presence, and continued reeling away at close range. A great little bird.

Grasshopper Warbler - Lyde Road

No comments:

Post a Comment