Saturday 10 December 2016

10th December 2016 (Derbyshire)

Headed up to Beeley in Derbyshire this morning. On the drive up, had a Barn Owl over the A303 between Yeovil and Taunton. As soon as I arrived, the DUSKY THRUSH was showing, though mostly obscured by vegetation, in the orchard. It flew before I got any good shots.

DUSKY THRUSH - Beeley

I wasn't in a rush today so decided I should stay to try and obtain better record shots. While waiting, had a flyover Crossbill, a Scandinavian Blackbird and an amazing bacon sandwich cortesy of Dukes Barn!

Scandinavian Blackbird - Beeley

After rushing back and forth and just missing the bird, news came through at midday that it was feeding in the orchard again. I would have had great views and got some decent shots if it wasn't for the 100 or so people between me and the bird! Shortly after it flew into the adjacent fields where after a few breif views, it stayed still long enough for me to get some record shots:

DUSKY THRUSH - Beeley

The bird was surprisingly distinctive from all angles, even the contrasty chestnut wing feathers and rump made it unmistakable from behind. Great bird, well worth the drive and the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment