Monday 30 October 2017

29/30th October 2017

Headed down to Ninesprings Lake yesterday morning for the first time since January (I really need to spend more time on patch next year!). The highlight were high numbers of Water Rails. There is one regular bird every winter, but today I saw 2 on the Lake plus a 3rd which was heard only, and a probable 4th heard calling from the river. Oddly, no mandarins were present on the lake, though 2 Little Grebes, 1 fly-through Kingfisher and a Grey Heron were on offer, and the intermittent blue-winged goose was again present. There was little of note away from the lake with nothing better than 2 Nuthatches and a few Raven overhead. On the drive back to the house I had a female Kestrel in the fields between Brimsmore and Longcroft.

Walking into work this morning proved to be a good decision as I had a flyover Lesser Redpoll, my first in Yeovil this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment