Wednesday 17 May 2017

16th May 2017

Had to take a trip down to the south coast after work this evening for a couple lifers. First stop was Portland Bill. I found Cliff soon after I arrived; he had kindly waited to show me the 1st summer Golden Oriole in the Crown Estate Field. What a smashing bird!

Golden Oriole - Portland Bill

Next stop was Cogdon Beach for the short-toed lark. I parked at the NT Car Park and headed down to the beach. From here, I could see a group of birders a fair way away, so I started in that direction. I met them whilst they were walking in the opposite direction and they said the bird was almost impossible to see amongst the vegetation. They said that it had stayed put for a short while near a burnt log, but otherwise it was just down to luck. I thanked them and kept walking, now the only person on site. I reached the log, and almost instantly a small pale bird flew a short distance. I got the scope on it and there was the Short-Toed Lark! It showed fairly well for about 10 minutes or so before flying a short distance again, after which I didn't see it.

Short-Toed Lark - Cogdon Beach

Very glad I made the effort to get down here this evening, I certainly didn't expect to get two lifers after work today!

No comments:

Post a Comment