Monday 1 May 2017

1st May 2017

Headed to Haddon Hill to look for the two-barred crossbill this morning. Didn't arrive until 10, and soon after leaving the car I had a Tree Pipit and a large flock of Lesser Redpolls.

Lesser Redpoll - Haddon Hill

Walking west along the pine belt failed to produce any crossbills, but I did locate a singing male Wood Warbler. I decided to search the line of pines further east of the car park, a fairly long walk producing only a firecrest (heard only) and another Tree Pipit, though this one showed well enough for me to get a decent phone-scope shot.

Tree Pipit - Haddon Hill

On the return walk, I found a male Redstart, followed by a second male and a female. Whilst watching them, a single Common Crossbill flew over calling, the only one I saw/heard all day.

Redstart - Haddon Hill

I continued searching for another couple hours, producing just a flyover Cuckoo, a Spotted Flycatcher and a few other bits and pieces. A good day in a beautiful location, with plenty of compensation for the dip. A nice change of pace to the usual twitching.

Spotted Flycatcher - Haddon Hill
Willow Warbler - Haddon Hill
Stonechat - Haddon Hill
 

No comments:

Post a Comment