Monday 29 May 2017

29th May 2017

Headed up to Ham Wall this evening for some year ticks. When I arrived, there was no sign of the red-footed falcon, so I made my way towards where the little bittern has been barking. On the way I had 3 Great White Egrets, a few Little Egrets and couple Hobbies. I picked up an unusual looking egret overhead, and scope views confirmed it was a stonking summer-plumaged Cattle Egret. Once arriving, I only had to wait a couple minutes before someone noticed the male LITTLE BITTERN sat on top of the reeds quite close by. It gave fantastic prolonged views before flying a short distance and disappearing into the reed bed. I haven't managed any decent shots of this species the last couple times I've seen them here, so I was very pleased.

LITTLE BITTERN - Ham Wall

Great White Egret - Ham Wall

Hobby - Ham Wall

Walking back towards the car park produced a single Cuckoo. I passed two birders I was talking to earlier and they informed that the falcon was now showing. I headed on until I reached the right spot, and a quick scan produced the female RED-FOOTED FALCON. The bird was quite distant, but I was happy just to have seen it; it's my first since 2015.

RED-FOOTED FALCON - Ham Wall

 
Cuckoo - Ham Wall
 
Grey Heron - Ham Wall

Well worth the journey and the walk, glad I made the effort this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment