Tuesday 30 May 2017

30th May 2017

Had to head up to Steart this evening to try and finally defeat my number one bogey bird: gull-billed tern. I've narrowly missed the last 3; I missed last years bird in Wales and the bird on the Teign the year before both by one day, and I missed a bird by a matter of hours either way at both topshom and exminster in the same day in 2015.

It wasn't showing when I arrived, but thankfully I didn't have to wait long to see the GULL-BILLED TERN feeding from the Mendip Hide. It moved around the marshes quite widely, always landing either at a distance or out of view. The bird disappeared by the time Cliff and Dave Dawe arrived but eventually it flew onto the mud in front of the hide giving much better views for all.

GULL-BILLED TERN - Steart

 
Cream-Spot Tiger - Steart

Very glad I made the effort this evening! I think if I'd gone later like I usually would, I would have missed the bird as it disappeared about 15 mins after I left.

The birding is starting to shift from quantity to quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment